1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Sea Tow Complaints I Found Online

Discussion in 'In The News section, Local News and Information' started by Nautical Gator, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member
    Thread Started By

Sea Tow Complaints I found online Below;

I anyone finds any Sea Tow Complaints post them below,
    Please include a link

Thanks

Sam

2. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

My wife and I were on the Intercostal Waterway near Merritt Florida in our 30 foot Sea Ray when a water intake seal started to leak and we began taking on water. The Coast Guard came very quickly and pumped out the bilge and REPAIRED the leak. The boat was less than 3 miles form our marina and in no danger after the repair. I'm a Sea Tow member so I called them for a tow back to our marina. The tows are supposed to be free to members. But the franchise owner for this area was not about to miss an opportunity to make some real money! He refused to honor my membership tow and demanded a credit card payment of $ 4000 or he'd just leave my boat stranded. He insisted that this was a salvage operation not a tow. What a predicament I'm in now. So Sea Tow tows me into my marina and hits my card for $4000. The Coast Guard had left their pump onboard and followed the tow boat back to the marina. The whole tow took less than 20 minutes. In order to cover themselves, Sea Tow then writes on my receipt "We put seatow pump to maintain water level..." A total lie in order to justify the ripoff. Sea Tow did not put a pump on the boat and did not "maintain" the water level. The boat was no longer leaking. I paid 4k for a less than 3 mile--20 minute tow that they were contractually obligated to honor for free under the terms of their agreement. Simply put, they put their customers in a no-win situation and then take full advantage of it. I've never been a customer of Boat US Tow ( Sea Tow's main competitor ) but they've got to be the better choice.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/sea-t...what-a-rif-off-merritt-island-florida-1098954

3. bogman102

bogman102 Petty Officer

I thought Boat US tow was Sea Tow. They are competitors?

4. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

BoatUS and SeaTow are two separate companies...
    http://www.boatus.com/towing/

5. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

I was fishing out of ponce inlet (Dayton beach area)in florida and my friends boat broke down 40 miles out we called coast guard they called sea tow and sea tow said he only had a 24 ft boat and did not have enuff range to come get us so the coast guard came and towed use in.(beware they will do safety inspection on your boat and give you tickets if your dont have some thing)

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/305412-seatow-distance-limits-florida.html

6. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

May 9th, 2002
    Sea Tow International
    1560 Youngs Avenue
    Southold NY 11971

Sea Tow Services Treasure Coast, Inc.
    P.O. Box 1220
    Port Salerno FL 34992

Re: Towing Service May 8th 2002

Dear Sirs:

I am writing this letter in regards to an incident that occurred Wednesday, May
    8th, 2002, off the coast of South Florida. I am a member of Sea Tow and have
    been since 1999.

On May 4th, 2002, I left Florida in my vessel for a vacation in the Bahamas. I
    crossed without incident and arrived in Walkers Cay, North Abaco, Bahamas. My
    vessel is a 23 Dusky Walkaround model. I had a buddy boat that made the
    crossing at the same time, a 23 Mako Walkaround owned by John Arnold.

Both vessels are maintained to the highest of standards and outfitted with full
    USCG gear, including a 406 MHZ EPIRB with internal GPS that I carry onboard.
    The vacation was pleasurable until our attempted return to the United States.

On May 8th, 2002, while returning to Florida, my vessel became disabled with an
    engine malfunction. I attempted repairs to no avail. At this point my vessel
    was 38 NM from West End, Grand Bahama Island, and 44 NM from the Saint Lucie
    Inlet in Stuart Florida. All crew on both vessels were fine, except for the
    stress of my vessel being crippled. I told all hands not to worry as I am a
    member of Sea Tow and all that was necessary was to make contact with Sea Tow
    and the “Road Service at Sea” would come to the rescue. Nothing could have
    been farther from the truth.

The sea conditions at the time were 1-3 foot seas (if that) with a moderate 10
    knot South East wind. Based on our position and the prevailing weather, the
    decision was made to begin towing my vessel towards Florida. After
    approximately 45 minutes, a vessel with the call sign “Dream Too” made
    contact with us and relayed our information to Sea Tow West End/Freeport. What
    happened next was almost beyond disbelief.

Sea Tow West End/Freeport advised against us heading for Florida. Their
    recommendation was that the vessel given assistance should set my vessel free
    and they would be on-scene in approximately 5 hours to tow my vessel to West
    End. Again, I repeated that I was ‘on the hump’ distance-wise between West
    End and Saint Lucie Inlet. I requested that Sea Tow West End/Freeport call Sea
    Tow Treasure Coast to dispatch a vessel to my position to tow my vessel to Fort
    Pierce. I did so based on experience. Approximately two years ago another
    vessel from Fort Pierce was making the exact run I was currently on and broke
    down on Matanilla Shoal, which is 50 NM from Fort Pierce. Sea Tow dispatched a
    vessel to them and returned them to Fort Pierce.

After several long minutes waiting for an answer, I was again informed that I
    should turn towards West End. My buddy boat was just beginning to run short on
    fuel. I again REPEATED the information that I was now less than 44 NM from
    Saint Lucie Inlet, a member of Sea Tow, and I was in need of assistance.
    Silence on the part of Sea Tow. Sea Tow Treasure Coast then informed us via Sea
    Tow West End/Freeport that “gulf stream conditions would not allow them to
    safely make the crossing to our location.” I am not sure where Sea Tow
    Treasure Coast gets their information, but as I informed the Coast Guard, if
    the conditions were any better, I could have water skied to Florida. I was
    beyond disbelief at Sea Tow Treasure Coasts lack of assistance.

It was then reported to me that if I continued on my course, that once we were
    West of the Gulf Stream Sea Tow would be available to assist. Even though it
    was determined that my buddy boat would not have the fuel necessary to make it
    all the way if towing a load, we determined that if Sea Tow met us on the
    ‘other side’ of the Gulf Stream, I would be towed by Sea Tow Treasure
    Coast, allowing my buddy boat to continue on to Florida unhindered and with
    enough fuel to make it all the way. I was told to alter my course to Saint
    Lucie Inlet to further shorten the distance to land fall. I complied with the
    request.

Hours ticked away. Thirty miles from Saint Lucie Inlet I began hailing Sea Tow
    for assistance. I was answered by Sea Tow Fort Lauderdale and I informed them
    of my situation and requested they contact Sea Tow Treasure Coast and inform
    them, once again, that I was a member of Sea Tow, I was in need of assistance,
    and I was only 30 NM from Florida. I gave my specific position. Silence on the
    part of Sea Tow Treasure Coast. It was now late in the day, I was past due and
    my parents (who are also Sea Tow members) with whom I left a float plan were
    beginning to worry.

I repeatedly made attempts to contact Sea Tow Treasure Coast to no avail. The
    United Stated Coast Guard then intervened. I was contacted by Coast Guard
    Station Lake Worth and asked why I was continually attempting to hail Sea Tow.
    I fully informed them of the situation and position. Thankfully the Coast Guard
    stated they would contact Sea Tow. I was asked if there was any distress. I
    told the Coast Guard there wouldn’t be as long as Sea Tow did it’s job for
    a Sea Tow member and honor the contract by coming to my aid and towing me to
    port.

To my complete disbelief, silence on the part of Sea Tow Treasure Coast. Hours
    passed again and thankfully, when I was within 20 NM of land, I obtained cell
    phone coverage and made the call to my parents and informed them of the
    situation. My mother then called Sea Tow Treasure Coast directly. She was met
    by a rude, offensive person who stated that they were aware of the situation
    since that morning, and that I should not have left West End with a broken down
    engine under tow. My mother was further informed by this rude person that I was
    25 NM from land which my mother knew was completely false as I had relayed my
    position to her and she knew for certain that I was exactly 20 NM from land.
    Further, I was no where near West End, and had left from Walkers Cay.

After a brief exchange my mother was informed that a Sea Tow vessel would be
    immediately dispatched to my position and I wold be home before nightfall. Once
    again completely false. I was contacted by Coast Guard Lake Worth and informed
    that Sea Tow was in-route and that I was to change course and head for Fort
    Pierce Inlet as Sea Tow was leaving from Fort Pierce and would intercept. At
    that point, I was definite my buddy boat would run out of fuel because of the
    course change but I complied as Sea Tow assured me, my mother, and the United
    Stated Coast Guard that they were coming to assist. Again, completely false.

I came within 19 NM of Fort Pierce Inlet and my buddy boat ran out of fuel. I
    radioed the Coast Guard and stated my position and that both vessels were now
    dead in the water and please confirm that Sea Tow was in-route to assist. Once
    again to my complete disbelief Sea Tow had yet to even dispatch a boat. Sea Tow
    finally dispatched a boat that took an hour to reach us. Had Sea Tow Treasure
    Coast dispatched a vessel when first contacted, my buddy boat would not have
    run out of fuel, I would have been towed to port by Sea Tow, and would have
    arrived hours earlier.

It is now 7:00 p.m. Another surprise was waiting. I then discovered that my
    buddy boat was not a member of Sea Tow and they were being charged $705.00 for
    the delivery of ten gallons of gas. I was completely in shock at this point.
    Had Sea Tow Treasure Coast done its job and come to my assistance when I was 30
    NM from shore, my buddy boat would have never run out of fuel. Sea Tow Treasure
    Coast breached the contract I had with Sea Tow International and acted in bad
    faith. It is clear that both vessels were being ‘set-up’ by Sea Tow
    Treasure Coast to become completely disabled. Via the Internet, my mother
    pulled up the NOAA weather information and it is documented that sea conditions
    during the entire day were no higher than 3 feet, even in the Gulf Stream. With
    reckless disregard as to the safety of both vessels, Sea Tow Treasure Coast
    falsely reported that conditions were unsafe for them to render assistance,
    falsely reported they were in-route, and completely failed to come to a
    member’s assistance.

To give you an idea of the sea state, my buddy boat, with a mere ½ inch tow
    line, successfully pulled my vessel (which when fully loaded weighs over 4,500
    pounds) over 35 NM at an average speed of 7.5 knots, including through the Gulf
    Stream. In addition, once Sea Tow finally arrived at my position (19NM off Fort
    Pierce) I was towed in at a speed of 22 Knots, a feat which would be impossible
    in what Sea Tow claimed were ‘unsafe seas.’ I have documented the sea state
    on both video camera and regular film.

Now I will inform you as to the purpose of this letter. I cannot express in
    words the complete dissatisfaction I have with Sea Tow. The willful disregard
    to come to the aid of a member is in bad faith, in breach of contract, and is
    grossly negligent. Demand is hereby made that you waive the $705.00 fee charged
    to the vessel ‘Stress Management’ owned by Dr. John Arnold. Failure to do
    so will leave no alternative but to seek redress in court. Please be advised
    that if suit becomes necessary, all costs, attorney’s fees, and damages will
    be sought against Sea Tow International and Sea Tow Treasure Coast, Inc.

If I do not hear a response within two (2) business days of receipt of this
    letter, I will go forward with litigation. Please govern yourself accordingly.
    If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact this office.

Very Truly Yours,

Scott G. Ryals, Esq.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.boats/LuJbxuFX-pw

7. keep it reel

keep it reel Lieutenant Commander

WOW. I guess they should have asked if he was a lawyer. How do they get away with that??

8. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

9. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

SeaTow VS TowBoatUS
    Dug a little deeper on what issues others are having with SeaTow...

just read what others are saying…
    then you do the research and make an educated decision, on which tow boat company your select, being that getting this right may save you from a distressful day on the waters... knowledge is power, peace of mind and safety is a must...

Spare yourself from being up the creek without a paddle, or service...
    What's in your wallet?

Other posts that talk about SeaTow VS TowBoatUS... Don't take my word for it....

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...tatistics.html

Here's a good example of how the way a franchise pays it's Capt comes into play.

SeaTow pays it's Capt a % of the annual membership. If you are a member, the Seatow capt of your areaalready has your money, giving them the opportunity to go out and look for non member tows that brings in extra money. Same reason why I didn't get a tow.

I am not saying that all SeaTow Capts leave their members high and dry for non member paying jobs, I'm sure there are a lot that don't.

BoatUS pays their Capt by the jobs they do. So if a BoatUS member is need of a Tow, it's in the Capt's interest to tow it's members.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...us-101877.html

http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/9-t...xperience.html

http://www.charlestonfishing.com/for...TOPIC_ID=98666

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...w-salvage.html

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-r...s-boat-us.html

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Sea-To...-overch-476493

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/sea-to...lorida-1087089

http://openjurist.org/30/f3d/360/jon...reeport-ny-inc

http://www.thehulltruth.com/carolina...s-sea-tow.html

http://www.thehulltruth.com/northeas...w-boat-us.html

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...owboat-us.html

http://www.thehulltruth.com/northeas...s-sea-tow.html

AND the list goes on and on....

10. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

deeptrolling

They all do the same . I was a member of BOATUS onr day I went out of the port carn. and had motor problems I wasnt 3 and a half miles out called they said drop anchor and we are on the way 5 and a half hours later they show throw me a rope and tells me to hook it pulls me back to port and sling shots me in to the dock knowing I have no control over my boat I go to unhook the rope and the capt. yells and cusses at me and tells me I better not unhook his rope until I pay him at this point he then ask me if I'm a member and I tell him yes he says well it's your lucky day cuz that tow would have cost me $3500 .....REALLY $3500 for 3 and a half miles be for real and then the chunk of my boat from him slinging in to the dock well thats my problem he tells me . So like I said they all have good and bad captains it's just the luck of the draw in which one comes to get you